Behavior Support: A Coaching Call with Brandy Brown, Ep. 129 Buzzing with Ms. B: The Coaching Podcast
I know when I was a new coach, this was hard for me. It’s still something I continually learn about because there’s always something new out there to try, and management impacts so much in the classroom. That’s why I know you’re going to get a lot out of this podcast.
In this episode, I have a coaching call with Brandy Brown about behavior support. Brandy is currently a K-2 academic coach in Georgia. Before COVID, she focused mostly on instructional coaching, but now that teachers are reporting increased behavior concerns, she’s being called to help with that too.
During the call, we problem solve some challenges she’s facing in her coaching work. We talk about coaching teachers on behavior management and some simple strategies to try in the classroom. I share ways to handle teachers’ objections and why it’s important to push teachers to grow their practice. We also discuss using the PBIS framework her school has in place to develop a common language among the staff and communicate expectations to the students.
Topics and Questions Discussed in Episode 129 – Behavior Support: A Coaching Call with Brandy Brown
- Tips for coaching teachers on classroom management and behavior support
- Using video coaching with teachers who don’t notice the same things the coach is seeing
- Getting teachers to trust you by being vulnerable and putting yourself out there even when it’s not comfortable
- The benefits of talking to other coaches and building a coaching network
- Ideas to try with teachers who say they have tried everything and there is nothing more they can do
- Conducting instructional rounds focused on management
- Creating an aligned school-wide behavior program so all staff use a common language and communicate the same expectations to students
- Using Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) school-wide
- Setting goals and addressing them during PLCs
- Breaking down behavior data and looking for trends
- How to respond to teachers who say “I don’t think that will work” after they asked for your help
- Being a firm demander
- What to do when teachers say that the students behave better when you model because you’re a guest
I absolutely loved my conversation with Brandy because she was sharing challenges common to all coaches. You won’t want to miss this informative episode!
This post contains links to products from one or more of our advertisers. This means I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post when you click on links to those products.
Thank you for listening to Buzzing with Ms. B: the Coaching Podcast. Want more coaching ideas?
Check me out at buzzingwithmsb.com and on Instagram @buzzingwithmsb.
Podcast produced by Fernie Ceniceros of Crowd & Town Creative