Transformational Coaching with Becca Silver, Ep. 115 Buzzing with Ms. B: The Coaching Podcast
If you’re like most instructional coaches, you probably focus on content and skills when working with teachers. But what about mindset?
On episode 115 of The Coaching Podcast, I’m joined by Becca Silver. She’s the CEO and Founder of The Whole Educator, which provides training in transformational coaching. Her company focuses specifically on utilizing teachers’ mindset and motivation to make a big impact on their effectiveness and resilience.
During the episode, Becca explains what transformation coaching is, how it’s different from traditional coaching, and the benefits of using it with teachers. You’ll learn about reflective listening, how to build trust with teachers, and what to do if you’re not seeing growth. She gives real-life examples from her work with educators and explains how to start using transformational coaching with your teachers today.
This episode is packed with information, and I know you’ll walk away with new ideas for coaching your teachers. If you want to learn more about transformational coaching, listen to the full episode below.
Topics and Questions Discussed in Episode 115 -Transformational Coaching with Becca Silver
- What is transformation coaching
- Growth vs. fixed mindset
- Problematic mindsets including perfectionism, needing to be liked, and not feeling good enough
- Why saying “should” is a red flag
- Developing relationships purposefully with educators by finding things in common, being a good listener, and acknowledging their feelings
- Reflective listening – what is it and what does it look like in action,
- Why coaches need to practice their listening skills
- Listening between people’s words and identifying what’s important to them
- Examples of transformational coaching dialogues and questions
- Asking “why” and digging deeper with teachers
- The transformational coaching cycle – similarities and differences from the traditional coaching cycle
- Skill vs will
- Intentionally building trust with teachers
- Unpacking complaints and reframing them
- What to do if you’re not seeing growth in the classroom
- How to start transformational coaching with teachers – Hint: It starts with you!
- The importance of adjusting and modifying your approach
- Different kinds of resistance from teachers
- Results from transformational coaching
- Why instructional coaches need coaching and training on adult learning
- Differences between a coach and consultant
Ready to listen? You can listen below with the media player, or search for Buzzing with MS. B: The Coaching Podcast anywhere you listen to podcasts!
Check me out at buzzingwithmsb.com and on Instagram @buzzingwithmsb.
Podcast produced by Fernie Ceniceros