Coaching Cycles: A Coaching Call with Malia Oshiro, Ep. 126 Buzzing with Ms. B: The Coaching Podcast
Any instructional coach who has tried to initiate coaching cycles on their campus knows how complicated and challenging it can be. We struggle to build relationships with teachers and help them understand how coaching cycles can support them, rather than being one more thing added to their plates. It’s also difficult to make time for cycles when coaches are pulled in so many different directions, whether that’s by administrators who don’t understand our role, or because of the current needs of the school.
In this episode of The Coaching Podcast, you get to listen in on a coaching call as I help a coach troubleshoot their coaching cycles. Malia Oshiro is an itinerant coach working with secondary schools in her district. During the show, we talk about building foundational relationships with teachers, ways to get them on board with coaching cycles, and how to make them work when you have too much to do and too little time.
If you’re struggling to get started with coaching cycles on your campus, or if you’re looking for ways to make them more effective, this episode is for you! I know you’ll walk away with something valuable that you can try out tomorrow. Listen now!
Topics and Questions Discussed in Episode 126 – Coaching Cycles: A Coaching Call with Malia Oshiro
- How to get in the habit of asking teachers questions to move the conversation forward
- Ways to build relationships when you work with multiple schools
- Gaining momentum by working with teachers who ask for help and leveraging that success to get into other classrooms
- Supporting teachers when you don’t have experience in a specific content area
- Transitioning from remote to in-person learning
- How to introduce yourself and get teachers engaged in a dialogue quickly
- Ideas for explaining your role to teachers and clarifying incorrect assumptions about your coaching job
- Tips for building relationships and community with teachers
- Strategies for prioritizing coaching responsibilities
- Talking to administration when your time is being used for things other than coaching
- The teacher shortage and how to use class coverage as an opportunity for coaching
Ready to listen? You can listen below with the media player, or search for Buzzing with Ms. B: The Coaching Podcast anywhere you listen to podcasts!
Check me out at buzzingwithmsb.com and on Instagram @buzzingwithmsb.
Podcast produced by Fernie Ceniceros of Crowd & Town Creative